Spectator disconnect

• I believe everyone here is aware of the problem, that more often players fill up the available slots of the server, and thereby prohibiting others to join.
    I was thinking about how those inactive spectators should be handled. Two questions came to my mind:

• How much time should we allow a spectator to sit in idle?
    • Should we disconnect them at all , or should we just increase the player slots? This could be delayed for a certain time threshold, so that the old trick to spectate so that your buddy can join, won't work.

#1 For the first question, my best idea until now is, to disconnect them after about 3 games ~ 30 minutes. Maybe dependent on amount of chat activity. not counting auto gg and the like.

#2 For the second I don't really think that there is anything against disconnecting, but you guys are more or less hippies and social moral apostles and I've seen this being discussed before, so... yeah ... please discuss... ?!

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• We should roll-up our sleeves, get into the spaghettimod code and take the number of spectators out of the maxclients value. I don't mind having tens of spectators.

• I think this is a really bad idea, because it will lead to bandwidth overheat. don't forget, although they aren't sending much shit to you, you've to cast shit to others.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• administrators

@DipShitStar the cheap vps' we use have a 100Mbit bandwith, it should take hundreds of spectators to saturate it. Anyway yes, a good modification would be to divide maxclients into maxplayers and maxspectators. That would end all problems.

• stupid shit. they are in idle anyway. who gives a shit if they are connected, you might as well just kick em all

• administrators

@DipShitStar no, spectators are an integral part of the game. We have the #disconnect to get rid of spectators just because we give priority to players, but spectators should be allowed to you know, spectate the game.

• not that i didn't cover this possiblility.... but you can't seriously tell me that the ones spectated because of inactivity, idling for multiple hours aren't a problem on your server. check the logs please and see for yourself how often no moderator is present and players complain about missing slots.
    dividing maxplayers into masxplayers and maxspectators is a bonkus idea. just immagine the consequences.

• or add a-- #disc cn -- command and let the auth holders decide when a player is idle for too long or afk, this would disconnect them from server without a /kick or ban. Granted, if there arn't any auth holders online atm, you could always #disc them from irc as well. Just a suggestion..

• administrators

@nopnotme it's already there, the #disconnect <cn> command.

• or let the server manage the specs by asking them from time to time whether they are afk or not, if no answer > disconnet spec.. ?

• administrators

@Shikijo I strongly recommend that you suggest solutions that you have a good grasp of how they should be implemented ;-)

• Masters

Personally .... IF the Server is Full I ask the Spectators to respond to me... If there is no response I will #disconnect enough to allow other players to enter... quite simple and civilised especially as it is a disconnect rather than Kick.
    I can't really see what the fuss is all about .

Noli nothis permittere te terere

• @nopnotme it's mainly about the 'no masters around' part I mentioned

@shag, I'm aware that there is already such a practise of masters, but again, it's about the 'no masters around' part

@Shikijo that's a actually a good idea, even if the spectator misses the notice, he can /reconnect right away

@GustavoLapasta I don't see a problem how to implement this.

• Masters

Ahhh gotcha Star..... How often are we Masterless? I thought Gustavo has done a pretty good job of covering most timezones

Noli nothis permittere te terere

• sure thing, can't say exactly, but you might wanna count zombie masters, as masterless as well

• Well new announcement! For those that wish, I have coded up a pasta.cfg for Pastaland specifically. The cfg features a pop up gui at end of games for voting; the gui will disappear by load of next game, in addition it has an automatic disconnect for those that sit ideal for 20min, lastly I am almost done coding up Killstreak notifications for @Shikijo that has toggle on/off function depending on your preference. I will post the .cfg soon! Please @ me if you come up with any ideas that should be added, thanks.
    -nopnotme

• Masters

@nopnotme i look forward it :)

• What specs on the server?How much RAM?Width of the Internet channel allows you to change the limit in a big way on 64 player or 128.The problem is the server is very popular.Those who wish to join the game is always there,and no place.You can't kick spectators.

• @Scary said in Spectator disconnect:

What specs on the server?How much RAM?Width of the Internet channel allows you to change the limit in a big way on 64 player or 128.The problem is the server is very popular.Those who wish to join the game is always there,and no place.You can't kick spectators.

my point exacly!

• Is auto d/c of idlers at intermission possible ?
    (and if possible at least 30 - 40 seconds prior to intermission)

And also at round-time (game ending) if spectators remain idle longer than the allowed max they get disconnected.
    (Some remain in spec for several games, get d/c by masters and auto connect etc then idle again)

Maybe an accumulative time out if they idle longer than 5 mins (they can't unspec or join game for idling too long and have to reconnect after the time out expires )

Lagger's who did not fix ping in this time frame also get one gentle auto pm and 10 sec countdown to disconnect ?? idk .. but i am thinking of booting idle spectators and laggers... once in a while XD 100Mbps is a whole lot of booting powwaahh... courtesy of Pastaland.ovh lag-protection XD

• administrators

@cs4 100Mbps is the available bandwidth.
    I did a few tests with a 38.4Kbps mobile connection, and it can sustain games with up to 6 players. Which means about 6.4Kbps per player.
    You can't really say that our server can sustain up to 100Mbps / 6.4Kbps = 15625 players, because the greater the number of players, the bigger is the amount of data sent to each client (position of every player, events of every player, etc...), anyway it's fair to assume that a we are way within bandwidth limits here.