The infamous "pj"

• administrators

THE INFAMOUS "PJ"

We usually use the "ping" value to see the quality of a player's connection:

• high ping means the player is located far away from the server (in the case of Pastaland, up to 500 if the player is locate in Australia, usually within 100 for Europe)
    • jumpy ping means the player is having a bad connection, for any reason.

Using the ping to evaluate the connection quality will cover the vast majority of cases, but there are some edge cases where you see a user with stable ping and yet he's abnormally stuttering around. Enter PJ.
    Use the command /showpj 1 at the chat prompt to see some more numbers associated to the players. "PJ" is an irresponsibly cryptic name introduced in the Sauerbraten user interface to point to another variable hidden in the source code, called "plag". Here's the "plag" use in the sauer source:

//file client.cpp
        void updatepos(gameent *d)
        {
            // update the position of other clients in the game in our world
            //[...]bla bla bla

int lagtime = totalmillis-d->lastupdate;
            if(lagtime)
            {
                if(d->state!=CS_SPAWNING && d->lastupdate) d->plag = (d->plag*5+lagtime)/6;   <- Look, our plag!
                d->lastupdate = totalmillis;
            }
        }

So, what is this damn 'plag' variable? According to the source, it's a time difference.
    I take the last plag saved, multiply by 5, add the current lag measured and divide by six, then save the result as the new plag. This will just smooth the value a bit, but it remains a time difference. Exactly like the "ping" value.
    Ok, why should I bother with the pj if it says the same thing the ping says?
    The difference is: pj/plag is computed every about 33 milliseconds, while the ping is evaluated every about 250 milliseconds. There are edge cases where subtle connection problems happen periodically at a time frame well below 250 milliseconds, so the ping will not show any change but you'll see the pj value jump like crazy. These edge cases have been reproduced artificially by fellow Sauer players, so they are known to exist.
    One more thing to take into account: the ping value is evaluated by the server, while the pj/plag value is evaluated by the client. This means that:

• your client will show your pj equals to 0 (because there's no lag between your computer and itself)
    • if your connection sucks, you won't be able to discern a nice pj from a faulty one.

Long story short: The ping value is a tool that will get you covered in the great majority of situations. Anyway, in your path to the supreme master's wisdom, you'll want to know what the pj is.

• @GustavoLapasta People have told me my pj is erratic. And my ping. I have given up trying to fix this issue and can do nothing to prevent future bans/forced specs. Oh well.

Ne cede malis

• @Ao1-Pointblank Well in this case you got to accept that. In the end its your job to ensure a good connection if you want to play. Thats not too high of a price given the service that you get provided on pastaland. If you can not have a stable connection, the fault is on your side, and therefore you are the only one to blame.

• @Ao1-Pointblank It's ok, better laggy ping than stable ping.

• @Sweeper I will not pay the insane amounts required to get better service. If I had good internet, don't you think I would also have an Xbox, PS4, and all the latest and greatest games?
    Well, I don't, and likely never will. If I can live with that, you can too. This is a free game, and you should expect low income players. If you decide it is too unplayable, try making an "elite" pastaland server where people with real service can play, and only them. Leave us peasants in the dirt.

Ne cede malis

• @Ao1-Pointblank So just for the record: You expect people to provide a servermod, a server, a website and a forum for free? They can invest their time, effort and money and still you posses the insolence to complain, when they demand a stable connection from the users? Ill try to explain this as easy as possible: If you play on pastaland with an absolute garbage connection, you do not only forfeit any right to complain, because as stated above thats your own damn problem, but will also have to face the consequences. TLDR: You sir are a spoiled, ignorant and demanding moron, complaining about free services. If the situation requires it, the masters will take any actions necessary including specbans or kicks.

• @Ao1-Pointblank Most people on this game are poor as shit, and our connections are fine. You got unlucky and probably got stuck with some ISP that happens to have bad routing to a lot of the server clusters where many Sauer servers happen to be located. Sucks. It may or may not get better in the coming months.

• Masters

http://www.pastaland.ovh/topic/76/fixing-your-ping

Did you rule out some problem on your PC or LAN/WLAN as root cause ?

• @Sweeper Spoiled? What exactly do I possess that you do not? What could it possibly be that makes me better off?

Ne cede malis

• @Ao1-Pointblank said in The infamous "pj":

@Sweeper Spoiled? What exactly do I possess that you do not? What could it possibly be that makes me better off?

just deleted 30 lines explaining why sweeper is right.
    decided to just tell you: you suck as a human.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• Ne cede malis

• In 99 percent of the cases the lag is not the provider's fault, at least in my experience.

Try narrowing down what's causing your lag, it's usually either wifi, the router or software/hardware issues on your pc.

If you need help, open a topic here or go to IRC.

• @Acuerta I have had comcast guys over to fix the problem twice. Once, they replaced a cable, but both times they made it worse.

Ne cede malis

• This post is deleted!

• Service updated! Due to camcast's shady price raises, I am now on a slightly higher grade connection, for the same price.

Ne cede malis

• alt text

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• @DipShitStar Back at you.

Ne cede malis

• @Ao1-Pointblank No, Back at you.

• Ne cede malis