Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?

• Hey all,

I'm doge and I play sauer a lot, though not really active in the community. So I apologize if this has already been brought up or resolved before. I think most of us can agree that the ddos on pasta is pretty childish and the alternative servers, while decent, don't really live up to the caliber of pasta. In chef's analogy, pastaland is Linguine allo Scoglio, other insta servers are... mac n' cheese.

So my questions are this...

1. Would it be feasible to purchase and apply ddos protections to Pastaland?
    2. If so, how much per month would such a transaction cost?

My take on this... I play sauer probably an hour per day before work and another at night. It's a nice stress-reliever. The value of a quality server being online cannot be understated. So if it means paying $$ per month to fight back against the ddos kids and maybe pad the pockets of our pasta overlords a bit, then I'm happy to chip in my part. And from limited server conversation it seems others would be too, so a protection package steep in cost may not be such an obstacle financially with the help of the community.

Would love to hear thoughts from whoever runs pasta. Cheers!

– doge

Woof

• Masters

You have my full support. It would be worth $10/mo or so to me for sure.

• Yeah, and to clarify that point the protection package wouldn't need to cost only $10 per month. Whatever it'd cost you'd just need enough users willing to pay $10 a month or whatever and get it over the hump. The power of crowdsourcing!

Woof

• This post is deleted!

• I'm glad you like Pastaland. It's a free and open source effort like the rest of the Sauerbraten game, everybody is welcome to take its sources and brew another server like it.
    I appreciate that people are willing to pay to get ddos protection, but I think that this is the wrong reaction to the attacks because a) It feels like paying a ransom and b) Nobody should pay to play.
    The attackers are well known, the answer from the Sauer community should be different than "let's bend over to these bullies".

Anyway, just for the sake of information, a proper ddos protection costs about 80€/month, which is about 25 times the cost of the server itself.
    Other solutions have been tried in the past using cheaper services but they mostly ended up with a useless laggy server.

• Masters

80€ per Month is much, but give it 99% safety?

• its sad to know that typical DDoS protection (annual fees) = basic specs dedi-/ co-lo box you could have :( it doesnt add-up, everything is rigged.

• Masters

@GustavoLapasta
    Well, to me it feels more like a 'fuck you' to the ddosers rather than ransom since the money is not going to them, but it's your decision in the end. 80 eur/mo is indeed much, but if (being optimistic) we could get 10-12 ppl to donate then it is managable.

• Masters

I read too that 80 euros a month not so are a lot of for protection against hackers and a komflrtny game. At us is many masters and this amount it is possible to divide into those who want and can that the server was in safety and stablly worked! I read that if there are so much works and efforts it was spent for rise and maintenance of Paste, then you shouldn't neglect all this. If it is quiet, then it is possible and Gustavo will revise the decision on resignation))) If there are other options, please, offer.

original text:Я тоже считаю, что 80 евро в месяц не так уж и много для защиты от хакеров и комфортной игры. У нас много мастеров и эту сумму можно разделить на тех, кто хочет и может, чтобы сервер был в безопасности и стабильно работал! Я считаю, что если столько трудов и усилий было затрачено на подъем и поддержание Пасты, то и не стоит пускать все это на самотек. Если будет спокойно, то возможно и Густаво пересмотрит свое решение об отставке))) Если есть другие варианты, пожалуйста, предлагайте.

• @ZveR why only the masters? do not deprive me and other players the possibility to take part also
    ...это вообще не много)

• At the risk of being the one to pop the balloon; to crowdsource funds might sound good, but, server fees are paid every year. This means that Pastaland will have to crowdsource every single year. Every year setting up a campaign to ask for money…….. Players come and go, there is no guarantee the next generation of players would be willing to fund the server’s ddos protection. Then what?

Simply donating money without setting up some sort of ‘kickstarter’ style funding also has its problems. People would start having a financial interest in Pastaland and might demand preferential treatment because they helped pay to keep the server attack free. Imagine you helped pay for the server’s fees then you get kicked from the game (for good reason). Pretty sure the whole “I helped pay for this shit now this is the thanks I get!” attitude will kick in automatically.

All things considered, @GustavoLapasta's approach is not only about standing a moral ground but it is also the logical choice.

• @Fritz_Fokker Just a simple "no special treatment just because you payed" disclaimer would do the trick.
    Also, there is a chance that the ddoser would just give up. Then the protection could be stopped until he figures out it is vulnerable again.

Ne cede malis

• just rofl.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• @ZveR ты помнишь историю, как один персонаж в социальной сети написал нехорошее слово собеседнику? тот вычислил обидчика, не поленился, приехал из Москвы в Екатеринбург за 2000 км и тупо зарезал...я уверена, что те, кто атакуют сервер, читают эти обсуждения. им не мешало бы просчитывать вперед свои действия. парни! земля круглая, и неадекватных много везде.
    Do you remember the story of how one character in social network wrote a bad word interlocutor? he calculated the abuser, not lazy, came from Moscow to Yekaterinburg for 2000 km and stupidly stabbed ... I'm sure that those who attack the server, read the discussion. they would do well to count forward their actions. guys! the earth is round, and inadequate people exist everywhere.

• hmm.. well we have our playbooks ..

it depends how long before they realize they are no longer playing by their rules.

• @cs4 In my opinion, it is worth the $80 if only to witness their (his) reaction.

Ne cede malis

• @Fritz_Fokker Hopefully this wouldn't be a longterm solution. Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

@GustavoLapasta I understand your moral position, but my take is simpler than that. There are people willing to pay $$$ to ensure a server they love remains online and accessible. It is a small group of people and would only be paying for a brief amount of time. Let's take action now and enjoy what limited time we have with this game. Communities like this don't last forever.

That said, if you do not wish to budge, then how may we donate to your pasta mixing efforts? At the very least it seems fit your contributions to the game and sauer community do not go unappreciated.

Woof

• @doge said in Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?:

Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

pls, it started happening years ago, can't tell when exactly. why do you think they'll get bored this time? :D
    tbh I believe the more you react, the more you motivate them. they are like trolls and your reactions actually feed them

gl with your ideas. no one likes them but don't forget, it's a free game and efforts should be corresponding

• Masters

Don't be judging these who are willing to help, I motivated them but to see there actually willing to help is just the start, why let this server die if many wish to help

• @doge said in Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?:

@Fritz_Fokker Hopefully this wouldn't be a longterm solution. Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

right, that's why it's been going on since four years by now. welcome to reality, kids. welcome.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• @DipShitStar But in those our years, no one has done anything as drastic as this. No one has ever tried to stop him. It's a gamble to try setting up protection, as he could break it and fuel his ego even more. That's the last thing we need; some derp with a bottomless wallet prancing around boasting about how he broke pastaland despite expensive protection.
    Also, is it true that he himself pays for the ddos "service"?

Ne cede malis