Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?

• At the risk of being the one to pop the balloon; to crowdsource funds might sound good, but, server fees are paid every year. This means that Pastaland will have to crowdsource every single year. Every year setting up a campaign to ask for money…….. Players come and go, there is no guarantee the next generation of players would be willing to fund the server’s ddos protection. Then what?

Simply donating money without setting up some sort of ‘kickstarter’ style funding also has its problems. People would start having a financial interest in Pastaland and might demand preferential treatment because they helped pay to keep the server attack free. Imagine you helped pay for the server’s fees then you get kicked from the game (for good reason). Pretty sure the whole “I helped pay for this shit now this is the thanks I get!” attitude will kick in automatically.

All things considered, @GustavoLapasta's approach is not only about standing a moral ground but it is also the logical choice.

• @Fritz_Fokker Just a simple "no special treatment just because you payed" disclaimer would do the trick.
    Also, there is a chance that the ddoser would just give up. Then the protection could be stopped until he figures out it is vulnerable again.

Ne cede malis

• just rofl.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• @ZveR ты помнишь историю, как один персонаж в социальной сети написал нехорошее слово собеседнику? тот вычислил обидчика, не поленился, приехал из Москвы в Екатеринбург за 2000 км и тупо зарезал...я уверена, что те, кто атакуют сервер, читают эти обсуждения. им не мешало бы просчитывать вперед свои действия. парни! земля круглая, и неадекватных много везде.
    Do you remember the story of how one character in social network wrote a bad word interlocutor? he calculated the abuser, not lazy, came from Moscow to Yekaterinburg for 2000 km and stupidly stabbed ... I'm sure that those who attack the server, read the discussion. they would do well to count forward their actions. guys! the earth is round, and inadequate people exist everywhere.

• hmm.. well we have our playbooks ..

it depends how long before they realize they are no longer playing by their rules.

• @cs4 In my opinion, it is worth the $80 if only to witness their (his) reaction.

Ne cede malis

• @Fritz_Fokker Hopefully this wouldn't be a longterm solution. Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

@GustavoLapasta I understand your moral position, but my take is simpler than that. There are people willing to pay $$$ to ensure a server they love remains online and accessible. It is a small group of people and would only be paying for a brief amount of time. Let's take action now and enjoy what limited time we have with this game. Communities like this don't last forever.

That said, if you do not wish to budge, then how may we donate to your pasta mixing efforts? At the very least it seems fit your contributions to the game and sauer community do not go unappreciated.

Woof

• @doge said in Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?:

Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

pls, it started happening years ago, can't tell when exactly. why do you think they'll get bored this time? :D
    tbh I believe the more you react, the more you motivate them. they are like trolls and your reactions actually feed them

gl with your ideas. no one likes them but don't forget, it's a free game and efforts should be corresponding

• Masters

Don't be judging these who are willing to help, I motivated them but to see there actually willing to help is just the start, why let this server die if many wish to help

• @doge said in Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?:

@Fritz_Fokker Hopefully this wouldn't be a longterm solution. Just a few months before the bullies get bored and move on.

right, that's why it's been going on since four years by now. welcome to reality, kids. welcome.

"It was Back Door Sluts # 9." (The Return of the Fellowship of the ring to the Two Towers)

• @DipShitStar But in those our years, no one has done anything as drastic as this. No one has ever tried to stop him. It's a gamble to try setting up protection, as he could break it and fuel his ego even more. That's the last thing we need; some derp with a bottomless wallet prancing around boasting about how he broke pastaland despite expensive protection.
    Also, is it true that he himself pays for the ddos "service"?

Ne cede malis

• Unfortunately. @DipShitStar makes a good point. ddos attacks are quite commonplace on the internet.

• @Ao1-Pointblank said in Crowdsourcing DDOS Protection Funding?:

@DipShitStar But in those our years, no one has done anything as drastic as this. No one has ever tried to stop him. ... (+lots of blablah)

you seem to know it all, but you are so wrong.
    please don't just assume shit and take it for granted.

• It would be quite endearing if people pooled funds to get ddos protection. There's not much logically wrong with it, it's a lot like when countries increase their defense expenditure due to repeated attacks.

But at the same time it's kinda uncool. Makes us feel defeated. Gustave was happily running the server on $xx/month now he has to pay $xx+80/month. That's a big victory for the ddos guys, it's like mission accomplished for them. "haha you banned us, now you pay extra $$$$ every month ahhahha".

So I don't know what the solution is, but this is not it for me.

• We know for a fact that the culprits behind supposed pastaland hit also mounted other SSH brute force attacks from same ip range on other peoples servers.

Pretty stupid to also mount a ddos attack isn't it ?

Sit back and enjoy the popcorn.

• @cs4 do you REALLY know this for a FACT? or are you just using a phrase you read so often in the internet, that it makes you think you'll sound smart, using it?

• :lifter_tone1: honeypots ftw :D

• @miu @DipShitStar I have no idea when ownz or whoever started the ddos attacks. I've been playing this game on and off for a few years and I don't recall it being down for stretches of time this long. I don't deny that ddos attacks have ever happened before, just haven't seen something like this where some individual was so determined to keep it down permanently.

In my experience, most ddos attacks are one-off incidents. They happen, the instigators chuckle to themselves, then move on. This on the other hand is repeated targeting by a single party. I'm not sure the standard method of just waiting for each individual attack to lessen then rebooting the server is the appropriate decision. Though I suppose the point and this discussion as a whole is moot if gustavo isn't willing to purchase the protections or if the server has been sold.

Regardless, @miu I'm not sure what your problem is, just some suggestions mate. :)

@h8 I agree it's not optimal. It seems to me to be a last ditch effort. Personally, I don't care what the ddossers think. To me it's a lot simpler than that. People are willing to pay for a protection plan. The protection plan supposedly keeps the server running. Those people who paid for the plan are happy. That's all that really matters here. I don't care if the ddossers consider it a win, to me if people are willing to pay for the plan then why not, let's make sure the server can be enjoyed by everyone. My 2c.

Woof

• administrators

@doge as I said, Pastaland is an open source project. Technically versed players are welcome to fork it , and as you may have noticed another Pastaland server located in USA is in the master list (although it still needs some adjusting). Setting up more servers will help mitigate this problem, we only need people willing to work on it.

• @doge Back in the days when PSL / Ogros servers were more prominent they were down for several days because of some other (?) shit kid ddosing them. Not minutes or hours... days. Same for Masterserver and I am sure other prominent servers back than too. So even if this shit kid will stop: there will always be some other low life that will take on what other shit kids started.
    Btw.: I really would like to see some ddos-protected server just to annoy the kid ddosing the servers now but I think that @GustavoLapasta is right. Just go on... it's just a game... if one server gets ddosed... move on to the next one aka. "just ignore the troll".