[Suggestion] Restrict Rugby Passes to Improve Gameplay

• Rugby mode has become a big part of public Sauer, as it runs on the only still regularly frequented ictf server - Rigatoni Rugby. Though it does bring enjoyment to land some clutch, last second passes with your team, the mechanics themselves turn out to be really flawed on second thought: It is rare nowadays to play open maps like wdcd or capture-night without having the enemy team suddenly score a billion times in a row. It only takes a slight skill imbalance to have the better team completely dominate the round until the inevitable early 10-x knock-out.
    This has led to many players complaining about Rugby - some also calling for its abolishment - as the current ruleset breaks the game: there's not much left of Capture The Flag if you effortlessly pass from tower to tower on face-capture, only to find yourself in intermission 3 minutes later. The only strategic element here involves standing still in as open a spot as possible and waiting for your flag to arrive. Not exactly a strong achievement, and the opposite of what the gameplay dynamics are about.

Instead of removing Rugby completely now, there is a way to both get rid of the flagscore massacres, and to preserve the option of throwing in a pass when tactically appropriate. On the server a new patch is going live which will adapt the original Rugby rules.
    That means:

Passing is only allowed backwards and sideways.
    If you have the enemy flag and try to pass it towards your home base, you will keep the flag instead. Shooting the flag to the left, right and back is still possible.

If this is implemented, players in fact have to cross the map with their flag again, while the remaining element of Rugby allows them to throw it to their nearby and level teammates in defense. Lazy long-range scores are eliminated and the game itself returns back to the roots, Capturing The Flag.
    I think that the change could dramatically improve the experience on most maps, and incite more tactical passes as well.

Love the original "Rugby" and don't change anything? Put Rugby into the next trash can and burn the can? Curious to try the proposal? Leave a comment below!

• Masters

"The only strategic element here involves standing still in as open a spot as possible and waiting for your flag to arrive." it's not as easy as you think :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: this is one of the vulnerable positions, but it brings the result.
    on the topic: I do not understand players who are dissatisfied. The presence of the rugby regime does not guarantee victory. this forces us to evaluate the trajectories of all opponents. I think it's not necessary to complicate the game. the player does not have to think correctly whether he is acting or not. sideways or back. he must play

• I think this would discourage passing, but I'd prefer this. You get the rare not-downvote.

• Masters

@swatllama obviously, there are servers without rugby mode. nobody forbids playing there) what are your predictions? what will be the popularity of the server? I think this is a strategic error. veterans will not return because of the absence of the rugby mode. beginners will leave

• No, veterans don't return because of rugby. There are no veterans who came from rugby, there are people play badly.

• Masters

@swatllama you do not see the difference between cause and effect. you are a bad strategist) you can put me another minus

• Masters

@swatllama thank you dear. you are an obedient guy)

• I would prefer no rugby at all, but this sounds like a good compromise. It keeps the team element, but the game breaking aspect is removed. I like the idea.

• Simply limit the ability to pass the flag for 5 secs after taking it and it'll solve the problem.
    And yeah, this mode isnt my favorite, I like classic e/iCTF but it's ok as long as you can play rugby as a classic iCTF mode.

• Masters

@Sweeper Yes. it's all perfect. but I did not get an answer to the question. why players did not go to other servers without rugby? a game of beads for the elect. excellent. but nothing bothers you?

• People play on rugby because the server has stats, forum and a good enough administration. No abusive kicks, no bad language. It's not because it's rugby for sure.

• @julia, I believe you overestimate rugby's perfectness. it's the server, not the mode that attracts people. at least most of them.

• People go to commonly known servers. People used to go to DEMO despite what a shitshow it was, because the name was known.
    (And why did people originally go to rugby? Because it seemed cool at first, and then it turned out it wasn't.)

Skillz warned us of this years ago.

• Masters

но я не вижу вас троих часто на сервере) мой интерес - обеспечить команде проход к флагам и благоприятное возвращение. поэтому я переживаю о других игроках, которые обладали иллюзией возможности. мне понравился комментарий miu. возможен ли компромисс для смягчения переходного периода?

• "Put Rugby into the next trash can and burn the can?" Problem solved.

• @julia
    Ну, лично я просто крайне редко играю на публичных серверах, меня раздражает большое количество игроков. Но когда играю, это в 99% случаев будет rigatoni. Конечно же, дело не в режиме. И да, я не считаю, что его не нужно как-либо видоизменять или вообще ликвидировать - его просто нужно совсем немного усложнить, чтобы некоторые умники больше не могли злоупотребить его возможностями.

We can't remove the mode, people are already used to play it. I still like my idea about giving 5s timeout before allowing to pass the flag (also applies to people who received the flag after a pass). Also it's easy to implement.

• Rugby was an idea to make the gameplay more interesting. What happened, was the opposite. Good flagruns were no longer important. Some maps like fc5, capture night or wdcd were completely broken. We also saw a strong effect on asymmetric maps. Suddenly most of them became incredibly unbalanced. So what did we get?

• lazy players
    • an overall decrease in skill
    • broken maps
    • too fast, very unbalanced games
    • wins that are too easy and thus
      meaningless and not rewarding

Did I miss something?
    I can only mention again that I like the new idea, because it will most likely fix most of these issues.

• Masters

I hate football for that stupid off-side rules. Why to hell you can not pass the ball behind last enema player? Wait, it is not last player, you have goal keeper, guy that use hands instead of foots.

• i am in total disagree with this new rule, try to make a survey on the game to see what others think.

• Hi there,

I applaud trying different things out, tweaking the rules to benefit gameplay, etc. I also take the points made above, particularly where maps have flag bases are facing each other resulting in 10-0 (in extreme cases).

However, I find the current change feels awkward, jarring, and detrimental to the enjoyment of the game.

To avoid the problem of players passing the flag to a team member sat next to their flag: Why not disallow passes to players that are within a certain distance from their own flag base? Forward passes would still be allowed, but someone would have to make the final run to cap the flag.

Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Stinkybob

• @Stinkybob said in [Suggestion] Restrict Rugby Passes to Improve Gameplay:

Why not disallow passes to players that are within a certain distance from their own flag base?

Well, this scenario works in normal situations when e.g. on forge someone stays near the flag and waits to receive the enemy flag to score. Even a 5 meter pass can be helpful in such situations. That's why I suggested adding a timeout during which players can't pass flags. Even 3-5 secs help because no one can stay for this long on the enemy base of capture_night without being killed 3 times :D