[Idea] New power-up(s)

• Masters

Hello again.

I was wondering if we should introduce some new power-up to the game.
    Since rugby is mostly played in insta mode, where you can't jump very high wouldn't it be just awesome when you could find a jetpack on the map which allows you to jump higher for a short amount of time?

alt text
    alt text
    That would be so much fun or not? Please discuss.

Kind Regards,
    Obstriegel

• By "jump very high", how high? Like rifle jumping high?

GUNS!

• Masters

@Timakrov-Gunn rifle jumping high is something you can do already with the rifle. I mean like rocketlauncher or grenade jump high.

There are multiple ways this could be implemented. With a jumppad entity which is temporarily spawned under your ass. Or with an artificial so called "hitpush". Once you collected a carrot you could eat it and execute the high jump whenever you need it by pressing a button (which would mean people have to bind it) OR by aiming straight down as you would try to rifle-jump, which is much more intuitive in my opinion.

Eating one carrot means you can execute one high jump, that's it.

:smile:

• That's quite a short-lived powerup, but sounds situational enough. I was going to say that it might not be fun if it interferes with gameplay, because some of us jump a lot, but if it requires a condition to be met like the aiming down or button idea you suggested?

Sure, why not?

GUNS!

• Masters

а target that jumps high - the easiest target for a sniper

• Masters

@julia Rabbits survive by hopping fast. Thousands, millions of years!

• Masters

@Obstriegel Everyone sux in this game. Rabbit sux carrot :)

• Masters

• @Obstriegel sure why not. Mess around with enough things, maybe one change will be a good one eventually.

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank That's the spirit!

• Masters

Not sure if trolling. I hope you are.

• Masters

How about this, the carrot temporarily raises your rifle damage by +50 pts, and gives you some cool visual effect so other people see that you're pro.
    If we stay with the high jumps then make it stackable so I can collect carrots during the game and then just fly wherever I want in the end thus saving my team.

• How about a power up that gives you a pistol? (Higher firerate and more inaccuracy, but no passing with it)
    Or maybe a rifle that lets you pass like regular rugby, with full range.
    Or maybe a speed-boosted saw (increased hitpush)
    Or a power up that envelopes you in a massive ball of fire so no one can stand to look at you (alternatively, you could use smoke particles and make a smokescreen)
    Or maybe give players a few grenades at spawn, to clear bases of all those campers waiting to receive flags (because there is so much rugby going on, it's OP. Let's not let those people have their playstyle rewarded)
    The grenades maybe can also be used for jumping, if you turn off self damage.

Ne cede malis

• Masters

I found this shooter on steam. It has jetpacks and almost only gets negative reviews
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/439370/Midair/

• Masters

Sounds like it could be fun! At least for a trial run, im down

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank
    Speed boosted saw, we had this. it is somewhat connected to the jetpack.
    Massive ball of fire you can't look at. that would require the server to know about map geometry to do the ray test "can see".
    Grenades. Yes we would have to turn this to ectf. Good idea!
    No self-damage, even better.

What about when you jump off a map where you can die (like reissen or garden) instead you are bounced back upwards like you jump onto a big jelly cake? It would make players less frustrated of falling down on reissen?! Just some crazy hitpush once you reach a certain area! But then we also need the jumppad sound from an older version of sauer....

• Masters

@Øwl I thought it is an example to show this is bad but yea we could try it. It is free to play after all. The original idea was also just for a single high jump which can only be executed with that powerup. I don't think it would break the game. That "midair" game tho tries to be a clone of tribes which was an excellent shooter back in the days I heard. But it is a cheap copy they say.

• @Obstriegel do you need the sound file?

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank no, it would be an only client side modification which is boring

• @Obstriegel right.

Ne cede malis