[Suggestion] Anti Unbalanced Start

• Masters

Hello!

Balancing public games is nearly impossible. We have never tried it because nobody can predict that people join or leave in the middle of a game.
    But what we can predict is that people leave once a new map is loaded.
    Most players do not realize what map was voted for and once it is loaded they remember how much they hate the map or how badly they should be doing something else and just quit.

This easily leads to a game starting with 8 players in one team but only 4 in the other. And this happens every day.

So I propose that we add a few seconds of warmup when a map is loaded and then shuffle the teams. This also solves another problem of some people loading the maps very fast. I think 10 seconds would be enough.

Kind Regards,
    Obstriegel

• Masters

@Obstriegel you appeal to the number of players. I will not translate Russian remarks when the balance of skill is violated. what do you propose to do in this case? very often half of the team does nothing. formally there is a balance .... but ...I already wrote that it is not correct for me to move leaders. but what's the point of moving the players who are studying the map? only wise players move themselves. a special gratitude from me personally. sometimes I rearrange players by skill .. when the situation is abnormal. but they come back) they think only of victory in the depths of their souls. there is no balance? better. does random mixing exist?

• The only russian remarks you're translating are the ones you put into GT to paste here.

• Masters

@swatllama my dear. my English is better than your Russian a priori

• Usually players switch teams on their own, especially if you ask nicely. Also, most good masters are willing to balance themselves (which sets a good example for other players)

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@julia I am aware of the problem that sometimes half of the team is useless. It is nothing I want to solve here. What I am talking about is that the game starts with the same amount of players on both sides.

I see it very often that people leave the server in the first seconds. So what I would like to do is just reset the game after 10 seconds after a map has loaded.

Once again there is also the problem that people load a map at different speed. I was in a game where a teammate and I loaded the map faster than anyone else and we already were in their base taking the flag while they did not have spawend for the first time. It gives us a free score.

When you look at the racing servers you have to wait until everyone has loaded the map. Everything else would be silly.

By implementing a 10 seconds reset at the beginning we would eliminate two problems at once: loading time and people leaving the server early.

• Masters

@julia Wellsaid Julia... Swatty is a more miserable feckwiot than I am these days!

Noli nothis permittere te terere

• I saw this reset in action, @Obstriegel. It looks confusing. people start doing things, walking somewhere and then everything is gone. I like your idea about the balance, it'd help. but better doing this reset with a 10s pause so people can't move anywhere, and then reload the map.

• Masters

While unbalance is a problem, I'm not sure that it mostly happens at start. I notice it more midgame, especially if one side is losing people just leave. Idk how to fix that though.
    As miu said 10s reset would feel jarring if people can move before it. If you can make it so that people can't move then it could work, maybe 10s a bit too much time, would have to try it to see, but the idea is reasonable.

• Maybe just recruit masters that are willing to persuade people to switch, rather than ignore the problem.

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank how often do you play 6 vs 2 or similar? It's not a problem. problem - 50-70% of the team is engaged in garbage and does not play. the numerical balance is in order at the same time. can you understand the difference? 2-3 good players can play against 4-6

• @julia yeah it depends on the people playing and which side is winning to determine when a balance is needed. That's why it is best left to human judgement rather than a balancing script.

Ne cede malis

• Switching to the losing team just seems like the right thing to do in most cases. Unless VoT is there...

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank you can only provide a numerical balance. it is a formal cleansing of conscience. it has nothing to do with the content of the game

• @julia nothing? Nothing at all? You can't be serious xD

Ne cede malis

• Masters

this is a trivial example. there is no numerical balance. so what?0_1531680257701_cwrD6_Hm_Qw.jpg

• @julia I don't recogize the player smiles, and I'm pretty sure you and shag can take care of yourselves.

Ne cede malis

• You should be able to tell very easily when you are winning due to a number advantage.

Ne cede malis

• Masters

@Ao1-Pointblank no. this is not an advantage. the phenomenon has a form and content. the result depends on the content. I do not see the point of discussing further

• @julia me neither. It would be useless to argue further.

Ne cede malis

• 14 flags scored? alt text
    idk, I believe you (julia/shag) could make things better. just simply move either of you to the other team and take one of the players from that team. you see, they cant kill, they cant score but both of you can do either of these things.

@julia at the beginning of the game it's better to have balanced teams at least by the number of players. That's the main point of the opened topic here. you talk more about things that happen in the middle of the game when people leave to eat, pee or simply out of boredom or due to the bad connection. this can be only balanced manually by masters or people themselves, and surely not by the number players in the teams but by the scored flags and the main team skill.

I rarely play public games but when I do, sometimes I see like 8 players play against 5 but the team with these 5 have more flags than the other. and some silly people scream BALANCE BALANCE like this would make things better... unless they mean to move 1 player from the team with 5 players to the team with 8 players :D